Hélène Pilorgé is a research associate at the University of Pennsylvania and was previously a postdoctoral fellow at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute. She holds a PhD in geology from the University of Lyon (France), where she experimentally studied water-rock interactions in serpentinites under high pressure and high temperature conditions at the subduction zone interface.
Hélène’s research at Penn focuses on carbon accounting of various carbon management solutions and on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping for responsible deployment of carbon management. She is particularly interested in outlining best opportunities where carbon capture (from industrial point sources or from the air) is co-located with CO2 storage, and low-carbon energy sources (geothermal, solar, wind, biomass), in order to maximize the impact of such systems on climate change mitigation. Where co-location is not possible, she is also looking into transportation options for the CO2. More recently, Hélène is including environmental justice components in her studies, to aim towards an equitable transition towards a decarbonized economy.
- Pilorgé H., Layding S., Magdolen C., Psarras P. (2021) A Strategy for Achieving Net-Zero Emissions in Nevada. The Nature Conservancy - Nevada, in press.
- Pilorgé H., Kolosz B., Wu G.C., Freeman J. (2021) “Global Mapping of CDR Opportunities” CDR Primer, edited by Wilcox J., Kolosz B., Freeman J. https://cdrprimer.org/read/chapter-3
- Pilorgé H., McQueen N., Maynard D., Psarras P., He J., Rufael T., Wilcox J. (2020) Cost Analysis of Carbon Capture and Sequestration of Process Emissions from the US Industrial Sector. Environmental Science & Technology, 54 (12), 7524-7532. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b07930
- Pilorgé H., Reynard B., Remusat L., Le Floch S., Montagnac G., and Cardon H. (2017) D/H diffusion in serpentine. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 211, 355-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2017.05.022
- Pisciotta M., Pilorgé H., Feldmann J., Jacobson R., Davids J., Swett S., Sasso Z., Wilcox J. (2021) Current State of Industrial Heating and Opportunities for Decarbonization. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. Accepted.
- Alatiq A., Aljedani W., Abussaud A., Algarni O., Pilorgé H., Wilcox J. (2021) Assessment of the Carbon Abatement and Removal Opportunities of the Arabian Gulf Countries, Clean Energy 5 (2), 340-353. https://doi.org/10.1093/ce/zkab015
- Kian K., Liguori S., Pilorgé H., Crawford J.M., Carreon M.A., Martin J.L., Grimm R.L., Wilcox J. (2021) Prospects of CO2 capture via 13X for low-carbon hydrogen production using a Pd-based metallic membrane reactor. Chemical Engineering Journal 407, 127224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.127224
- Baker S.E. et al. (Author 21 of 24) (2019) Getting to neutral: options for negative carbon emissions in California. Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States). https://doi.org/10.2172/1597217
- McQueen N., Psarras P., Pilorgé H., Liguori S., He J., Yuan M., Woodall C.M., Kian K., Pierpoint L., Jurewicz J., Lucas J.M., Jacobson R., Deich N., Wilcox J. (2020) Cost Analysis of Direct Air Capture and Sequestration Coupled to Low-Carbon Thermal Energy in the United States Environmental Science & Technology 54 (12), 7542-7551. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c00476
- Psarras P., He J., Pilorgé H., McQueen N., Jensen-Fellows A., Kian K., and Wilcox J. (2020) Cost Analysis of Carbon Capture and Sequestration from US Natural Gas-Fired Power Plants. Environmental Science & Technology 54 (10), 6272-6280. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b06147
- Woodall C., McQueen N., Pilorgé H., and Wilcox J. (2019) Utilization of Mineral Carbonation Products: Current State and Potential. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1002/ghg.1940
- Kelemen P., Benson S., Pilorgé H., Psarras P., Wilcox J. (2019) An overview of the status and challenges of CO2 storage in minerals and geological formations. Frontiers in Climate 1, 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fclim.2019.00009
- Ganzhorn A.-C., Pilorgé H., and Reynard B. (2019) Porosity of metamorphic rocks and fluid migration within subduction interfaces. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 522, 107-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2019.06.030
- Ganzhorn A.-C., Pilorgé H., Le Floch S., Montagnac G., Cardon H., and Reynard B. (2018) Deuterium-hydrogen inter-diffusion in chlorite. Chemical Geology 493, 518-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.07.010
Conferences (*presenting author for talk)
- Pilorgé H., McQueen N., Psarras P., Woodall C.M., Wilcox J.* (2020) DAC paired with industrial waste heat as a path towards carbon neutrality for the U.S. industrial sector. Talk, Applied Energy Symposium MIT A+B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLvouX20Ow
- Reynard B.*, Ganzhorn A.-C., Pilorgé H., Porosity of metamorphic rocks and fluid migration within subduction interfaces. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, 6986.
- Pilorgé H.*, Psarras P., He J., and Wilcox J. (2019) Combining geothermal potential and direct air capture for negative emissions power generation in California. Talk, GRC transactions, Vol 43. https://publications.mygeoenergynow.org/grc/1034141.pdf
- Pilorgé H., Psarras P., He J., and Wilcox J. (2019) A path to mitigate climate change: opportunities for direct air capture of CO2 and geological storage. Poster, New England Research Forum.
- Reynard B.*, Ganzhorn A.-C., and Pilorgé H. (2019) Deformation, porosity, and fluid migration within subduction interfaces. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vol 21, p 8112.
- Ganzhorn A.-C.*, Pilorgé H., and Reynard B. (2018) Water-mineral interactions, rock permeabilities and deformation in subduction zones. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vol 20, p 8499.
- Pilorgé H.*, Reynard B., Remusat L., Le Floch S., Montagnac G., and Cardon H. (2017). D/H diffusion in serpentine. Talk, EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vol 19, p 7422.
- Pilorgé H., Ganzhorn A.-C., and Reynard B. (2017) Water-serpentine interactions and deformation in subduction zones. Poster, Goldschmidt 2017.
- Pilorgé H., Ganzhorn A.-C., Montagnac G., Cardon H., Le Floch S., and Reynard B., (2017) Water-serpentine interactions and deformation in subduction zones. Poster, EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vol 19, p 7549.
- Pilorgé H., Reynard B.*, Remusat L., Le Floch S., Montagnac G., and Cardon H. (2016) D/H diffusion in serpentine. Talk, Serpentine Days 2016.
- Pilorgé H., Reynard B., Montagnac G., Cardon H., and Le Floch S. (2015) Serpentinite-fluid interactions in subduction zones. Poster, abstract n° 2493, Goldschmidt 2015.